Subject: Re: panic: wscons_emul_attach: bogus location on 3000/900?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/21/1996 15:40:23
On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> I've built a kernel which includes short delays when accessing the SCC
> registers.

Our 3000/500 had _major_ problems with duplicated characters when running
off the GENERIC kernel in the 1.2 distribution.  Upgrading it to a current
(as of about two or three weeks ago) kernel took care of it.  It's been
well-behaved since.

While I'm writing: I'm running this box with SCSI disks mounted both
internally and externally.  A few minutes ago, browsing the web pages for
the alpha port, I read that this will not work, and will cause data
loss.  Am I misreading the warning, or am I being very, very lucky?

-tih