Subject: Re: dump/restore problem...
To: Feico Dillema <dillema@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@vlad.supp.cpr.itg.telstra.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/20/1996 11:20:18
Feico Dillema writes:
> I am not able to dump and restore a filesystem (my root fs to be precise)
> My system is a 266Mhz UDB running NetBSD-alpha 1.2. The (a) command line
> example that fails is:
>
> dump 0f - /dev/sd0a | restore -rf -
>
> resulting in a checksum error (by restore).
> when dumping to a file I have not been able to read it on another
> system using that restore.

(Disclaimer: I haven't used NetBSD/alpha. I've just seen people
 complain about similar things before and I know a bit about the
 dump/restore code)

Dump and restore aren't 64bit friendly (yet). The main problem is
probably that <protocols/dumprestore.h> has lots of 'long'
definitions, which I think are 64bit on alpha and 32bit elsewhere.

A medium term "project" I was thinking of performing was making
dump/restore 64bit clean, as well as making restore more portable to
other operating systems. At my current employer we've ported NetBSD's
dump to ULTRIX (as bdump), and restore to ULTRIX (as brestore) and
Solaris (as brestore), so we can restore NetBSD & Ultrix filesystems
on our Solaris boxes. This needs a bit of work, but I think it's an
worthwhile goal to have.

> Has this problem been reported (and solved?) yet. Is there a patch?
> Or can anybody please tell me how to copy a root filesystem from one
> disk to another (type of) disk????

Try something like (from memory - untested :):
	gtar -C <sourcedisk> -lcf - | gtar -C <destdir> -xpf -

Luke.