Subject: Re: savecore not recognised as a core
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/17/1996 14:14:47
> I'm running current as of about a week ago. just blew up my machine
> and got a core dump, which savecore dutifully saved in /var/crash.
> However, when I try to run gdb on the kernel and that corefile, I
> get
>
>     "/var/crash/netbsd.0.core" is not a core dump: File format not recognized
>
> Is this supposed to work?

No.  I've definitely never taught "old" gdb (the one i'm shipping 8-)
how to deal with kernel core files.  I think i might have taught "new"
gdb, but i'm not sure (don't rememeber), and can't easily ship diffs
for the new toolchain right now...

kvm-using programs like 'ps' and 'w' which include dead-kernel support
should be able to examine it just fine, though.

Generally, the best way i've found to figure out where crashes due to
traps are is to take the PC and RA reported by the panic message, and
use gdb to find it in the 'netbsd.gdb' that got built when the kernel
was built.  I've heard that 'list *<address>' is the easiest way to do
that (thanks jhawk! 8-).

chris