Subject: Re: panic: wscons_emul_attach: bogus location on 3000/900?
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@bbnplanet.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/15/1996 17:41:08
> > It claims that the 900 (and the 800), like the 500, has a built in
> > frame buffer.  However, when talking about the frame buffer it only
> > talks about the 500...
> >

> > So, I suppose there are a few of questions that you could answer for me:
> >
> > 	(1) does it look like your machine has a port for a frame
> > 	    buffer in the back?
>
> Getting someone to check...might be awhile.

No need; the info you supplied is enough.  (But, thanks to my delay in
getting this reply out, i see that that's already been done...  8-)

> > 	(2) what does it say while booting?
>
> "Say"? Could you be more specific? I've included
> what I think you want (output while booting Digital Unix).

I meant, in particular:

> DEC 3000 - M900
> Digital Equipment Corporation
>      VPP PAL V5.56-82000101/OSF PAL V1.45-82000201 - Built on 22-JUL-1996 13:58:51.33
>
> TCINFO      DEVNAM        DEVSTAT
> ------      --------      --------
>                  CPU      OK KN17-AB -V6.7-S85A-I20C-sV2.1-DECchip 21064A P2.0
>                  OSC      275 MHz
>                 ASIC      OK
>                  MEM      OK
> 8
> 7
>                  NVR      OK
>                  SCC      OK
>                   NI      OK
>                 ISDN      OK
> 6
>                 SCSI      OK
> 5-PMAF-FD       TC5
> 0-PMAF-FD       TC0

There is no 'CXT' there, which there would be if it had graphics
attached.  (That's the 'show conf' output, but it would also be shown
at power-on-self-test time.

> > Either can be fixed, i just need to know which one needs to be.  8-)
>
> Right-oh. So you're saying what happens here is that a frame
> buffer is being detected (sfb0), but has bogus information attached.

That was one possibility.  The other, correct, one is that a frame
buffer was being detected that wasn't actually _there_...  8-)

I put a new kernel up at

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/cgd/netbsd.GENERIC.gz

which should solve your problem.  Give it a spin, and tell me how it
goes.  (You should be able to either put it on your DU root partition
and boot it with the DU boot blocks, but if you do that boot with -N.
Also, you should be able to mount your netbsd root partition under DU,
and copy it, etc.)

Tell me how it goes.  This change could be made into a 1.2 patch
pretty easily, if you need that.

chris