Subject: Re: Changing Ethernet-IRQ in netbsd kernel
To: Feico Dillema <dillema@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/14/1996 15:36:37
> I have a UDB 266 MHZ, and installed netbsd on it. However,
> I've not been able to get the Ethernet up and running.
> It seems that the IRQ-setting is wrong. I installed Linux
> on another disk and did get networking up properly.
> Linux sees the Ethernet IRQ at 10, while my NetBSD kernel
> sees it at IRQ 15. Is there an ease way to patch the
> netbsd kernel to change the IRQ setting from 15 to 10.

The ethernet's IRQ as reported by NetBSD is what the firmware sets it
to.  Not only can't you change it, you don't _want_ to...  NetBSD uses
the value provided by the firmware, and doesn't have any notion of a
'fixed' IRQ for the ethernet card.

> If you can help my out on this one, I'd be quite grateful.
> (i'm kinda eager to see netbsd up and running on my new
> machine ;-)

Which ethernet connector are you using?  I seem to recall that with
the 'de' driver in NetBSD, one of them (i think it's the thinnet
connector) can't be used on the Multia/UDB.

chris