Subject: Re: NetBSD crashes on boot
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/08/1996 08:08:59
On Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:54:16 -0800 (PST)
 Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca> wrote:

 > I saw it. The lists just seem a bit slow this week.

Yes, the router that mail.netbsd.org sits behind is having some
problems; we seem to get getting a 25% or higher error rate on the
packets that it forwards... This causes connections to time out,
reset, etc.  The net result is an insane backlog of e-mail.

I checked the logs, and while we did deliver > 50,000 pieces of mail
yesterday, the backlog was hovering around 34,000.  The backlog increases
the "post -> receive" latency; I've been observing ~4 hours.  Compare that
to the ~10 minutes latency we had for several weeks following the switch
to the new mail server.

A new router is being installed tonight.  Hopefully some of the problems
will go away.