Subject: Re: Booting in single-user mode
To: Eric Sentner <sentner@noc.digex.net>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/06/1996 18:52:00
> Yes, you need to use the '-a' flag to boot multi user.  I think the
> newer versions of the kernel have this compiled in, but I might be
> mistaken. :)

NetBSD/Alpha has require '-A' (or '-a') since more or less day one, to
boot multi-user.

I wanted to follow DEC's lead with boot options, so that people could
alternately boot Digital UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1!) and NetBSD from
seperate disks w/o having to worry about flags (I was doing it for
a while, myself 8-), and have continued the flags' meanings so as to
keep backward compatibility.

Note that all flags are case-insensitive.  Supported flags are:

	a/A	autoboot to multi-user

	c/C	(if DEBUG defined when building) panic and do a crash
		dump immediately after autoconfiguration

	h/H	always halt, never reboot (even if 'reboot' is
		requested).  Useful on (my) crash-test machines, to
		void infinite reboot loops.

	n/N	ask root, etc., device names instead of trying to
		figure them out automatically.

chris