Subject: PPP problems on Multia
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/1996 12:01:19
Hi

Has anyone else encountered PPP problems on a Multia (or any other alpha as I
doubt if this is Multia specific)?

Here's the scoop:
1) The pppd config files (/etc/ppp/options, chat scripts, etc.) are nearly
exact copies of the same scripts on my Amiga (the only difference is the tty
specification, which is tty00 for the Amiga, and ttyC0 for the Multia).
PPP on the Amiga works great.  PPP fails to establish a connection on the
Alpha.  Both machines are running NetBSD-1.2, and both have PPP compiled into
the kernel, etc.

2) pppd calls chat successfully.  The initial connection (i.e.
username/password
handshake) works fine, but then, the rest of the PPP connection fails to
establish, and the remote end eventually times out and hangs up.

3) Turning on the syslog debugging for pppd, I see that everything seems to
work correctly until it goes to send out the "LCP" packets.  According to
additional debugging stuff I've added to pppd, the write() call in output() in
sys-bsd.c is successful, but I don't see the appropriate lights on my modem
flash :-(  (I've seen multiple write()'s return successfully, but *nothing*
flashing on the modem...)

4) When pppd is attempting to send the LCP stuff, a "stty -a -f /dev/ttyC0"
indicates that the line is in PPP discipline.

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong, as both chat and kermit seem to work just
fine...  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's got ppp on an alpha
working successfully...  maybe it's just me :-(

Thanks...

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA