Subject: Re: anybody seen output lossage with 'de' driver?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/15/1996 15:24:37

> Hmm.  If you have swap space, and if it's not being all used up, that
> shouldn't be a problem.  I don't see how it could all be used up
> without you knowing it and/or noticing a problem starting to occur...
>
> How much swap and RAM is on the machine, and after the machine has
> been up for a while what does pstat -s say?

32 Mb RAM

Rebooted this morning after the usual lockup; Have done lots of NFS client
copying (NetBSD src tree from another machine to the AXPpci) since.

netbsd2# pstat -s
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b       55800      616    55184     1%    Interleaved

I bet if I don't run anything else (other than std cron stuff), it'll
lock up by tomorrow morning.

Maybe I should whack the disk on the 3000-300X and see if it suffers
the same fate?

> > > Could you send me (privately) your /etc/ttys?
> >
> > It's the same as the one you distribute in /usr/src/etc/etc.alpha/ttys.
>
> Which suggests that it should be edited to match the local machine's
> configuration?  8-)

It _does_ match the configuration, at least for those devices that are
turned on (== console). Correct me if I'm wrong, but devices that are
"off" are ignored, aren't they?!.

I have a video card and keyboard plugged in, so the system doesn't try
to use a serial console. I don't actually use the keyboard, though -- I
haven't got a monitor connected. 8-). Need that X server for Mach64 or
Stealth!

> I doubt that that's your problem, though, given
> your symptoms.

8-(.

> chris

Regards,

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street