Subject: Re: crash dumps on NetBSD/alpha?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/29/1996 02:18:58
I wrote:
> Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:57:01 -0700
> >  templin@nas.nasa.gov (Fred L. Templin) wrote:
> >
> >  > 	1. Is it even possible to save a crash dump image on the
> >  > 	   NetBSD Alpha port? If so, is it possible to analyze the
> >  > 	   dump using some sort of debugging tool?
> >
> > To my knowledge, NetBSD/alpha doesn't yet support crash dumps.  I'm
> > not exactly sure why ... Chris will have to answer that :-)
>
> because nobody's written the code yet.  It shouldn't be too hard to
> get the kernel to write out the relevant data, and indeed, now that
> i've gotten other stuff (e.g. kvm_mkdb) out of the way in the post-1.2
> tree, i'll add this to my projects list.

Actually, i made the kernel dump a core image tonight.  relatively
easy...  The hard part is making savecore and libkvm understand it.
_that_'s not yet been done.

However, it is on my todo list, with reasonable priority.  (actually,
i've been meaning to clean up the 'new' libkvm's internals for a
while, since as of the last time i looked it contained some severe
brokenness...  I guess this'll give me a chance to do that, too... 8-)

chris