Subject: Re: Ethernet Auto-sensing on Multia's
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/1996 18:14:06
In  <199609242201.QAA07040@skorpio3.usask.ca> , you wrote:

> Hi
>
> Are there any known problems with NetBSD 1.2 auto-sensing the 10base2
> Ethernet connection on a DEC Multia [21066, 166MHz, 24MB RAM]?

Yes there are known problems.  (ie it don't work).

> I'm trying to get a Sun 3/50 and a Multia connected via 10base2 Ethernet.  I
> know the physical connection is fine (if I try to netboot the Multia, tcpdump
> on the Sun sees the mop stuff without any problems).  However any sort of
> networking stuff that I try under NetBSD doesn't seem to get anywhere...
> (I'm running tcpdump on both ends, so I can see that the packets are getting
> as far as the network interfaces, yet I never see anything on the wire from
> the "other" machine).

You need to use the AUI port and a transceiver for now.

> On NetBSD bootup it prints:
>   de0: enabling Thinwire/AUI port
>
> [it prints some other stuff too, like which chip it found, and what interrupt
> it's on, but that info's at home right now -- sorry :(  I can provide it on
> request.]
>
> Is that the "standard" message to be displayed for the Ethernet on the Multia
> when using 10base2?

When the 10base2 is finally working, it should report:

de0: enable External SIA port.

> I'd like to hear from anyone who's got a Multia and is using the 10base2
> Ethernet connection in NetBSD.  All indications from the net are that it
> should work just fine.  I'd just like to confirm that my case is "abnormal",
> and that I'm missing something else....

It won't work.

> [some rooting in /src/sys/dev/pci/if_de.c has me wondering if the
> tulip_dc21040_media_select() function is doing the right thing for the Multia
> (should sc->tulip_media be set to something like TULIP_MEDIA_BNC or
> TULIP_MEDIA_AUI or TULIP_MEDIA_BNCAUI?), but I'm prepared to admit the
> code is just fine, and that *I* don't have the foggiest idea what I'm talking
> about :) ]

I have a de driver with appropriate modifications but I still haven't gotten
the 10base2 connector to work.  It's really frustrating.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message