Subject: Re: LITERALSLEAZY compiler errors
To: The Terminator rAT <rat@cynical.org>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/22/1996 17:51:25
> Good day.  I'm trying to build nethack3.2.1 on my Multia/UDB.  I've cleaned
> up the 64-bit unsafe code and it compiles without warnings.  When I try to
> link the executable, though, the compiler generates hundreds and hundreds of
> these errors.  I have built NCSA Mosaic with full debugging symbols, so I
> don't believe it's a size issue.  Any ideas?

size of symbols doesn't matter as much as size of resulting text.

in a nutshell: LITERALSLEAZY was a new (SLEAZY!) LITERAL relocation
type that i added to the toolchain to get it to compile large things
(e.g. gcc, large kernels).  Basically, it increases the size of
allowable GP offsets by 4x...  More or less, a workaround for linker
problems.

Since the new toolchain i've been using doesn't appear to have
problems compiling either the kernel or gcc, it probably would be able
to link nethack w/o problems.

The best solution for you: wait until the new toolchain is the norm
for NetBSD/Alpha.

chris