Subject: Re: Alpha 8x00 ISP SCSI host adapter driver
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/18/1996 09:10:02
Matthew Jacob writes:

 > The Alpha 8x00 has onboard (KFTIA) SCSI host adapters based on
 > the Emulex (excuse me, now "Qlogic") ISP chip.
 >
 > Has a driver for this been ported to NetBSD, or should I plan on
 > possibly porting the Linux version (or doing my own, or....)?

We've got a bunch of Alcors & Mavericks (AlphaStation 600 & 500) which
use ISP1020s & that we're interested in running NetBSD on.  I recently
contacted the author of the Linux ISP1020 driver ("Erik H. Moe"
<ehm@cris.com> ), and he's agreed to let his driver be ported to NetBSD
and distributed with a BSD style copyright.  All he wants is to be
able to do a FreeBSD port of the completed driver.

I'll be the first to admit that I may have bitten off a little more
than I can chew in undertaking the port.  As Jason Thorpe mentions,
the Linux driver would need a near complete rewrite to work under
NetBSD, and I've never done anything of that magnitude before.  I
certainly wouldn't object if you wanted to help out ;-)

Drew

Duke University				Internet:	gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science		Phone:		(919) 660-6590