Subject: Re: userland blues
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/12/1996 22:09:04

>> It's funny you should mention this- I'm struggling with this today,
>> in fact, for linux.
>> [ ... ]
>
>It's funny you should mention _THAT_.
>
>Matt Thomas and I (mostly Matt 8-) have been working on the
>NetBSD/Alpha toolchain for the last couple of weeks.  (The starting
>point for Matt's toolchain work was Richard Henderson's patches.)
>
>In a nutshell, (assuming NetBSD 1.2 is released in the next few weeks
>8-) a bit after 1.2 is released NetBSD/Alpha is going to cut over to
>ELF, complete with shared libraries.
>

>There are still a few kinks to be worked out, but they're mostly gone
>thanks to Matt's diligent work.  I figure it'll be ready for "real"
>users in about a week, and i'd like to have it ready to release to the
>world within 2 or 3 weeks.  Right now, one of my machines is running
>with shared libs, and more or less all of my /usr/{bin,sbin,games,libexec}
>binaries are shared.
>

>I just saw Matt's message offering ECOFF diffs.  If you need an
>up-to-date gcc, i strongly suggest you take him up on his offer
>rather than trying to hack the toolchain that i provided (and will be
>providing with 1.2).

Yes, I asked Matt about those. Thanks. I'll probably struggle with the
Linux side of things at first and then fall on my knees and see what I
can get moved over on the NetBSD side (why both? I'm working Alan Poston
@ NASA to do some quick assessments of what the state of systems for the
alphas now w.r.t. linux, NetBSD, OSF/1, WinNT, etc...)... I'm really
looking forward to it (not the least of which because my multia only
has 24MB.. ouch :-))

Let me know if I can help with testing, etc...

-matt