Subject: Re: Status of Multia/UDB support
To: Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@cc.odu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/03/1996 16:01:52
On Sun, 1 Sep 1996 20:03:27 -0400 (EDT)
 Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@cc.odu.edu> wrote:

 > I'm interested in buying a UDB, since they can be had cheaply now.  But I
 > was concerned about NetBSD's stability on this box.  I heard that as
 > recently as a few snapshots ago that it wasn't terribly stable.  I'm
 > hoping that's changed, cuz I'd hate to be forced to run Linux!  ;-)

NetBSD runs great on several multias here at work, and on a multia owned
by a friend of mine ... (it ran great on mine, too, until mine died of
some bizarre hardware failire :-/)

 > Also, how about support for the UDB's hardware.  Is it all there?  Even
 > the on-board sound?  How about the PC Card slots?  And what kinds, if
 > any, of PCI cards might be supported under NetBSD?

The on-board sound isn't there, yet ... requires some changes to the ISA
DMA code.  The PCMCIA stuff isn't there, yet, either... NetBSD needs
generic PCMCIA support, and the currently-available framework needs ... a
lot of work before it can go into the tree...

Almost any PCI card we have a driver for should work ... err, that is, a
DEC Tulip-based ethernet card, a DEC PDQ FDDI card (DEFPA), the PCnet-PCI
ethernet card will probably work, 3Com 5x59{0,5} might work (I'm going to
try and test that this week, actually), and NCR 53c8xx SCSI cards, etc.

The Adaptec aic7xxx-based cards don't work on the alpha yet, and the
buslogic pci cards don't, either...

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --