Subject: remote booting Alpha Multia
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron Benner <abenner@montana.avicom.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/16/1996 10:42:19
Hello, on the advice of a friend I'm writing to you all for help.  If
the CC sends duplicates I apologize.  I just wanted to cover my
bases.

The situation is this.  I have recently started working for a company
and have been handed a DEC Multia (Universal Desktop Box) which they
requested I install NetBSD on to free us from the vile chains of DEC.
The distribution package won't particularly work for us unless we
cannabalize several machines due to a lack of hardware.  We simply
don't have a spare disk we can dd the package onto, and don't really
have the space on another machine to attach the Multia's drive, not to
mention not wanting to tear apart such a tightly packed box.

As a go-around I suggested we remote boot the Multia from the SRM
console off of my i386-NetBSD1.1 box.  I had the diskspace to unpack
the bin.tar.gz and etc.tar.gz distributions, and someplace to store
the unzippped version of the kernel on the distribution site.

(I ftp'd all files from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/)

All is well, we have the dec sending a broadcast packet and it will
tftp the kernel over, however when the kernel tries to start up the
machine kicks back to the SRM console.

What it looks like to me is we either have a kernel not suited to the
mahcine, are missing a magic number (don't know if dec uses those or
not), or the the kernel we have is not capable of a remote boot.

Any help you could give me would be most appreciated.

--Aaron Benner
|                   Aaron Benner .o0o. Avicom Inc.                          |
|             abenner@avicom.net .o0o. http://www.avicom.net/abenner        |