Subject: Re: Need direction(s)...
To: Christofer M. Metyko <basil.stthom.edu!tofer@melb.werple.net.au>
From: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/31/1996 08:32:44
> Uh...  now what?  This is where I get really, really confussed...

If it comes with NT, then it'll be using the ARC console instead of
the SRM console (which NetBSD/Alpha *needs*). If DEC hasn't got a
version of SRM that works on your orphan, then you're out of luck.

> I'm not sure if I should fiddle around in the boot-setup-program (that
> gives me different options, such as, what OS to load, to run a program,
> to set-up some configuration information, etc.)-- or to take a different
> route.

If you had SRM, using the boot command is easy... and you would probably
find out if your orphan is recognized by NetBSD/Alpha as one of the
supported machine types (in which case, you're in luck).

> If I were to follow the directions in the NetBSD/Alpha/Readme, then I
> need an NT-Alpha ``dd'' command...  hmmmm.

Anything that will write the raw image to disk will do.

AFAIK, NetBSD/Alpha, like Digital Unix, only supports SCSI disks. DEC
puts IDE disk controllers on some low end machines (like AXPpci/Noname),
and these are only supported by NT. If your orphan only has an IDE disk,
you're out of luck.

> Please help.
>
> I understand if you are busy and do not have time for detailed
> descriptions and step-by-step procedures--  I just need a little hint...

cgd is on holidays.  This is just my 0.02.

> Thank you.
>
> Chris.

Regards,

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street