Subject: Re: 3000/300LX boot hangs
To: Ron Copley <ron@mue211.marshall.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/09/1996 17:40:08
> My DEC 3000/300LX (completely stock) won't boot the NetBSD RZ25 image...
> everything fires up OK, and NetBSD begins its boot sequence, finds the
> video, then hangs with
> 	scc0 at ioasic0 offset 0x100000
> It does some more disk activity, then just sits there. What's up?

You're using a frame buffer as console, right?

To quote the distribution README (complete with typos 8-):

        If your are using one of the supported systems that includes a
        PCI bus, and have either a PCI VGA frame buffer of any type or
        a ZLXp-E1 frame buffer, you may use it as console.  (If you
        are using your frame buffer as the console, you should use the
        terminal type 'sun'.)  Otherwise (if you are using a TurboChannel
        Alpha or have a different kind of frame buffer, you have to use
        a serial console.)

On all DEC 3000-family systems, you need to be using a serial console.

chris