Subject: Re: 'generic' Alpha motherboards.
To: Rolf A. Karlstad <karlstad@woods6.spa.umn.edu>
From: John Carr <jfc@mit.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/29/1996 21:24:29
> I have had some interactions with Stephen Gaudet at DGC Computers, Inc,
> 'Reseller of Digital Alpha based systems... running... Red Hat Linux...'
> ..and of course, NT and Digital Unix.
>
> The only hard description of the 21164 based machines that I would be
> interested in follows:
>
> 164 Alpha 300MHz 21164 Processor   330 SPECint92, 500 SPECfp92 est.

> I'm not concerned with video support, just scsi and ethernet... and NetBSD?
> anyway, that's ny real question:  will this machine run NetBSD?

These machines normally come with Windows NT firmware only so they can
not run OSF/1 or BSD.  I've asked Stephen how much it costs to get the
OSF/1 firmware but I don't have an answer yet.  This isn't one of DEC's
systems so there are no firmware updates for it on DEC's ftp server.

Is it practical to make a version of NetBSD that boots from the WNT
("ARC") console?  I have one of these systems with WNT firmware only
and I'm willing to help test.