Subject: Re: union file system
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hotdog.ping.apana.org.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/24/1996 07:21:54
Chris wrote

> > I compiled a new kernel using the 960425 distribution including the
> > options LFS, UNION and CCITT,HDLC,LLC.
> >
> > When trying to mount a UNION filesystem the system returns the message
> > that this operation isn't supported.
>
> Did you recompile your kernel from scratch?  You really should do so
> when adding or removing kernel options.

I actually removed the entire ../compile/HOTDOG tree

> On a slightly different note:
> 	(1) LFS won't work.  it has machine-independent problems,
> 	    and i don't know that it's ever even been tried on the
> 	    alpha.

I compiled this option into the kernel because there was some
discussion about it and wanted to have a go myself. I haven't tried
it yet but will give at a try in the next few days.

> 	(2) UNION is known to have ... interesting effects.  I don't
> 	    suggest that people use it unless they have to.

I had to modify the union_vnops.c file in order to make the compiler
happy by removing the cast (unsigned int):

1701,1702c1701,1702
< 			vp, UPPERVP(vp),
< 			LOWERVP(vp));
---
> 			(unsigned int) vp, (unsigned int) UPPERVP(vp),
> 			(unsigned int) LOWERVP(vp));

> 	(3) I dunno if CCITT & friends have actually been run on
> 	    NetBSD/Alpha.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't
> 	    work.
>

> > Also, has the x25 utilities been ported to NetBSD? I didn't have any
> > problems compiling the CCITT options into the kernel, but failed to
> > find any programmes which use this functions.
>
> I don't really know.  I've certainly never used them, though i figure
> that _somebody_ has (I seem to recall people talking about x25 on
> another mailing list, once)...  you've already posted to a more general
> mailing list (current-users?) right?

I tried the netbsd-help list, but will give the current-users a try ;)

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	: wulf@hotdog.apana.org.au