Subject: Re: Looking for information about a DEC video board...
To: Jon Katz <jkatz@in.net>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/13/1996 17:32:27
[ port-i386 cc trimmed. ]

> Speaking of video, etc., what would be involved in getting a port of X
> for NetBSD up and running on a DEC Alpha? Shouldn't XFree86/X11R6.1
> sources compile fairly easily (and quickly :-) on a Alpha?

X does run on NetBSD/Alpha, but it doesn't support the various VGA
video boards.  Indeed, my source base is an XF86 'xc' tree, with a new
Xserver 'hw' tree.

I seriously doubt that XF86 for the x86 would compile easily, and even
if it did, it wouln't support the video board that _I_ need it to work
on.

Feel free to work on it.  I understand the the XF86 folks are working
on X for Linux/Alpha, and i've been in touch with them about it, but
not for a couple of months since i've had hardly any time to work on
NetBSD/Alpha in that time.

> Also (another aside :-) has NetBSD been known to work on the 21164 EBs
> and motherboards? I hopefully will be procuring one this summer!

NetBSD has, in the past, been run on the AlphaStation 600.  I dunno if
the current code will work on those machines, since a lot of it has
changed since.  In any case, it shouldn't be hard to make it work
again on an AlphaStation 600 (to the same extent that it used to
work), and since i have 21171, etc. chipset support, it shouldn't be
too hard to make it work on an eb164.  Unfortunately, i don't have
one...

cgd