Subject: Re: Booting AXPpci 33
To: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@WERPLE.net.AU>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/01/1996 03:01:47
> > >        (1) set up the serial port to actually work.  a standard
> > >            null-modem cable should do the trick, if you're connecting
> > >            to another computer.  (the two serial ports on the back of
> > >            AlphaStations are the same as those on a PC...  I've never
> > >            seen and AXPpci.  If you're having problems, one of those
> > >            little boxes with an LED that tells you the state of each
> > >            rs232 line could be invaluable.
> >
> > Am connecting to a SPARC.  Bought new cables and null modem.  Tried with and
> > without the null modem.  Didn't work.  Will search the lab for one of thos
> > little boxes.
>
> The little box will only help with the self test. Since you say (in the
> other message) that the board read the floppy (I assume the disk light came
> on - and wasn't permanently on 8-), then the self test was OK and all that the
> LED box will tell you is how much memory the board thinks it has.

I dunno how it would tell him that...  The "little box" that i'm
thinking of is one of those LED-bearing boxes that sits in-line on an
RS232 connection, showing signal levels...

It should (with a little bit of knowledge of how the signals should
look 8-) tell him whether or not his serial cable setup "should" work...

merry new year to you all!  8-)

chris