Subject: emacs on NetBSD/Alpha
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Paul Zimmerman <dpz@apple.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/30/1995 19:51:24
The first of a few NetBSD/Alpha questions....

Being fairly new to the NetBSD world, I've been looking through the past
archives of netbsd-help, netbsd-users, and port-alpha, trying to find any
references to successes with building emacs on Alpha NetBSD.  My search
hasn't turned up very much.  I figure my success with bring up my
NetBSD/Alpha system to replace our VAX 8650/4.3BSD system will largely
hinge on whether I can get the major hairy issues like this successfully
dealt with.

As far as I can tell, emacs 19.30 has a src/m/alpha.h and a
src/s/netbsd.h, but alpha.h seems to be weighted towards OSF/1, and
netbsd.h seems to be weighted towards other NetBSD ports.  Additionally,
per the recent mail in the port-alpha archives, there seems to clearly be
an issue with needing a version of unexec.c for ECOFF, unless (I suppose)
one gives up the unexec() functionality.

So, my question is:  has anyone gotten emacs to run -- with or without
unexec(), one way or another -- on NetBSD/Alpha?

dp