Subject: Re: (Linux firmware)
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Andy Riebs <riebs@amt.tay1.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/15/1995 15:35:02
On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> It'd be nice if we had our own firmware (as i think the linux folks
> do, because some machines, sold for use as NT boxes, don't include
> it), but that's not likely to be something I'm going to be working on.

Alpha Linux uses a mini-loader dubbed "milo". milo can be flashed, or it
can be booted with the ARC console (the standard for NT boxes).

Though milo is built with Linux drivers, it might well be easy to
adopt/adapt it for NetBSD; it sets up the hardware, loads the requested
image, and goes away. If you're counting on the SRM console for
callback support, of course, you won't be at all happy with milo :-)

Anonymous ftp to gatekeeper.dec.com:/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Miniloader/ for
info.

Regards,
/andy

--
Andy Riebs, Alpha Migration Tools Group | (508) 952-4044 (dtn) 227-4044
Digital Semiconductor                   | (work) riebs@amt.tay1.dec.com