Subject: Re: g77/f77 - NetBSD-Alpha
To: Rolf A. Karlstad <karlstad@woods6.spa.umn.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/14/1995 23:54:46
>Realizing that g++ only recently began to work under NetBSD-Alpha, is there
>any chance at all that GNU Fortran will build (has been built?) into binaries?

I doubt that anybody has tried it.

>Hmm, thanks a lot for any reply, however terse, I'd also like to know if OSF/1
>is required to boot a NetBSD-Alpha kernel, I think I understand that any
>Alphastation 200/400/? should provide a OSF/VMS kernel booter...

Uh, the AlphaStation 200 & 400 include firmware that provides the SRM
console software and OSF/VMS PALcode.  That's all that's necessary to
boot NetBSD.

NetBSD/Alpha don't rely on any part of OSF/1 (though installing it can
be a pain unless you've got _some_ unix box to make a disk image
with).

It'd be nice if we had our own firmware (as i think the linux folks
do, because some machines, sold for use as NT boxes, don't include
it), but that's not likely to be something I'm going to be working on.

chris