Subject: Re: lkm device drivers under NetBSD/Alpha
To: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.AU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/14/1995 22:39:25
> > I feel compelled to note that your mods did a _heck_ of a lot that was
> > completely unnecessary, given 'sane' use of the structures provided by
> > the system, etc...
>
> Not 'sane' wrt gdb.  I think we agreed to disagree about that. 8-).

you didn't look at my diffs to gdb, did you?  They were,
comparatively, quite elegant (and seemed to fit into the structure of
GDB quite well...)

> > It really wasn't that hard to do the stuff that I did, and the rest is
> > orthogonal...
> >

> Yes, but you didn't get an important (IMHO) part to work. And... as you say...
> you don't know why. Sigh.

because i didn't modify the code, because I didn't know if gdb worked
as-is under OSF/1 or not.

I'd rather not change something that:
	(1) may work on OSF/1 (and if so, should work on NetBSD/Alpha),
	(2) I don't particularly understand,
especially when those changes involve a whole lot _more_ code that
isn't too easy to understand.

chris