Subject: Re: lkm device drivers under NetBSD/Alpha
To: John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/14/1995 01:35:22
> I just tried using modload on a device driver. 8-(. Seems that modload is
> (not surprisingly) hard-coded to match the linker switches of ld in the main
> source tree. The GNU ld used by NetBSD/Alpha treats -T differently.

it's about 15 minutes to fix this and the other 'easy' problems in
modload.

The bigger problem is the fact that it Really Really Really Wants
a.out, and NetBSD/Alpha uses ECOFF...

At one point, i fixed the easy parts (e.g. getting the args to 'ld'
right), but the fixes were so easy that i just tossed them when i
realized that the a.out problem existed.  (actually, i think i might
have done them several times, because i'm forgetful, but that's
another story...  8-)

> I guess this means that modload will need some '#ifdef __alpha's?

no, '__alpha__'s.  any maybe '__pmax__'s, depending on what tools
exactly they use.  (at least some of the changes should be common.)

chris