Subject: Re: NetBSD/Alpha
To: Michael Vanloon (Exchange) <mvanloon@wspu.microsoft.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/1995 23:01:30
> I just got a Digital AlphaStation 200 4/166 (not sure what the 4 means)
> running Windows NT.  Will this machine run NetBSD/Alpha?

yup.  BTW, that name breaks down into:

	AlphaStation 200 4/166
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^  ^^^
		|	 |  \--- cpu speed
		|	 \------ cpu type.  4 == "EV4" or "EV45", i.e.
		|		 21064 or 21064A
		\--------------- system type.

the latest disk image should work on it w/o modification, though after
you're running i suggest getting a new kernel binary (or new sources,
though if you're compiling i still suggest starting with a new kernel
binary).

Both of my development systems are AlphaStation 200 4/233's, so...
8-)

> I was thinking of
> throwing another hard drive on it and seeing if I could get a NetBSD/Alpha
> install on it.  Are there detailed instructions publicly available for
> NetBSD/Alpha installation?  Thanks...

uh, well, there are some directions in
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha
which should probably be good enough.

the biggest problem you'll probably face is getting the machine to use
the SRM console software (rather than the ARC console used for NT).
However, directions to do that should be in your owner's manual.  (If
no, ask me and i'll dig them up...)

chris