Subject: Re: the size of the alpha port...
To: Joel Jacobson <jake@scorch.introl.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/28/1995 18:36:09
> is the alpha port the only one without shared libraries?

The alpha port doesn't have shared libraries.  Unless i'm mistaken,
the same is true of the pmax port.  C compiles into relatively large
binaries on the Alpha, too.

There's also the minor matter that the Alpha port has a seperate
src/sys and compiler toolchain, that aren't part of the NetBSD "master
sources."  That adds ~26M to the size of each snapshot i distribute...

> and what
> is that 80-odd meg file, an image of a drive?

yup, of an rz25.  There's currently no (easy, sane) way to install the
system without it.

That and the .tar.gz files both need to be in the distribution, so
that new users can install and so that people who've already installed
can upgrade their binaries.  Perhaps the need for the disk image could
be lessened, if i had the time to write a sane set of install tools,
but to my mind (and my boss's), there are more important things to do
than work on the install tools...

chris