Subject: Re: Current Alpha platforms ?
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/09/1995 00:45:15
On Wed, 8 Nov 1995 18:27:43 +0000 (GMT)
 Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org> wrote:

 > I am likely to buy an Alpha platform for the hell of it (and other
 > things) and if it is a model that will boot NetBSD than this makes the
 > choice easier. I have a choice of DEC, DEC or DEC systems. We don't
 > get OEM motherboards over here (yet).

If you're going to buy a new Alpha platform that will run NetBSD, I guess
you're sort of limited to the AlphaStation systems: 200, 400, or 600.  My
600 ran well, though I had to use an NCR53c810 SCSI controller, since the
stock QLogic ISP1020s aren't supported (yet).  I imagine the other (200,
400) systems have NCR53c810 controllers by default.  I also had an E3
framebuffer, which wasn't quite up to par .. Chris managed to get text
to appear, but it didn't look right.

Alas, since I had a demo machine, it's gone - reclaimed by DEC (they were
a bit surprised that OSF/1 was gone, to say the least!).  I have a new
one on order, same hardware.  So, with any luck, Chris and I will get
that E3 framebuffer working properly.

Apparently, the E1 framebuffers "Work Great", though there isn't an X
server yet...

I can't help you much more than this; I'm reduced to a DEC 3000/400 and
an AlphaServer that shares my opinion of OSF/1...