Subject: Re: shared libs on NetBSD/alpha
To: Thomas Graichen <graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de>
From: Craig Ruff <cruff@niwot.scd.ucar.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/06/1995 17:05:35
This is somewhat relavent to NetBDS/Alpha, so I will impart some information.

I am trying to make some progress on shared libraries for Linux/Alpha.
The consensus is that they should work like OSF/1 shared libraries.  This
will entail considerable reverse engineering.  I have done some preliminary
work, but am trying to make my Linux/Alpha development environment a bit
nicer before I dive in deeper (I.e. an X server).

People on the linux-alpha list were about evenly split over whether to
just go to an ELF implementation.  The CONs said there is no ELF/Alpha
standard.  I don't think this is too bad, as we can make one.  The PROs
said we could leverage off of the x86 stuff.

Neither Linus nor DEC say they are working on shared libraries themselves.
--

Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000