Subject: Re: a machine to think abou
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: David Watson <David_Watson@parsys.co.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/24/1995 16:35:43
        Reply to:   RE>>a machine to think about
We too are launching an MP machine based on the Alpha and we are porting NetBSD
to it.

The Parsys (that's us) machine is built from nodes based on the 233MHz 21066
Alpha with 0.5 MByte BCache and 32 or 64 Mbytes of DRAM.  The PCI bus
integrated into the 21066 talks to a communications controller which has four
100 MBit/s bidirectional serial links (IEEE P1355 DS-links).  These links go to
a fully scalable switching network which routes messages between nodes.
Infrastructures (boxes and racks if you want to be crude) are available to hold
up to 3, 12 or 64 nodes according to taste and budget.

The node performance should be better than the T3-D on most problems due to the
fully implemented cache.  Comms performance will not be quite so good but still
well up with the state of the art.  If you cut the backplane of the large
machine, for instance, there are 512 of the 100 Mbit/s links passing through.
The price is _much_ lower.  8-)

We will let you know how we are getting on with the port and no doubt pester
you for advice when we get stuck.

Anyone who wants to know more please ask.

David Watson
Parsys Ltd
Boundary House
Boston Road