Subject: None
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lenny <lli02@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/03/1995 19:54:08
Hi. I would appreciate information on the following issue:
When declaring register variables on the Alpha, memory seems to be
allocated both for saving the previous value of the register, and for the
register variable itself. The space for the regsiter variable seems to
never be used (the register is used instead). Perhaps it is needed because
the compiler might later realise that it needs to use the register for
someother purpose. However, I have yet to find a program in which this
space is used. ( I tried having a local block which also used register
variables, but that didn't help). Why is this extra space allocated?

Never stop experiencing life.             | Lenny Li, BE(E&E)                 |
>From experience, you learn to grow, from  | Postgraduate student, Comp. Sci.  |
growing, you learn to give; & by giving   | The University of Auckland        |
you let others experience life.
|http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~lli02|