Subject: Re: Fwd: 275 MHz Alpha UNIX workstations for tryout
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: Marc Ramirez <mrami@mramirez.sy.yale.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/04/1995 03:13:01
On Wed, 3 May 1995, Greg Earle wrote:

[ Alpha has programmable instruction set, a la Cray ]

> The Viper runs either DEC OSF/1 (UNIX) or emulates an Intel 486 and runs
> Windows NT (POSIX).

Oh, if that were true... :) I was quite sure the Alpha had its own very
fixed instruction set (although the endian-ness is selectable at boot
time).  Also, NT has been ported to a good variety architectures (good for
MS, that is).

"You're porting NetBSD to the Alpha?  But I'm already running NetBSD on my
Alpha. I just upload the 486 instruction set in the boot blocks..."

Marc.

--
You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of
horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue