Subject: Re: general NetBSD/Alpha questions
To: Thomas J. Merritt <tjm@netcom.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/25/1995 06:58:50
> 1)	How does one get the sources for NetBSD/Alpha?

i believe i've already addressed that seperately.  In short:
	(1) the alpha specific bits are in the NetBSD source tree,
		but some of the machine-"independent" bits are not.
	(2) send me mail if you want the full sources or binaries.

> 2)	Can a cross development environment be created on OSF/1 V3.0?
> 	If so, do you have some guidance on how to go about this.

i'm sure it can; i stopped using OSF/1 to develop anything a while ago.

> 3)	At what point will NetBSD/Alpha be merged into the main
> 	NetBSD tree?  What are the complications in doing so?

it's been somewhat merged already.  There do, however, exist
significant chunks of the kernel that have not yet been merged.

The biggest and most important set of changes are those to the
networking code.  I've set Mike Karels a copy of them, and he's said
he'll do something useful with them.  The big problem with getting
them merged is that i _really_ don't want to be known as "the person
who broke netinet."  8-)

> 4)	What Alpha machines and configurations are people planning
> 	on running NetBSD/Alpha on?

I've got it running full time on a headless 5000/400.

I'm also planning to put it on the AlphaPC and AlphaStation here in my
office as soon as that is feasible.  8-)

chris