Subject: Re: Bad video output on RiscPC
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 10/02/2006 21:45:01
Ben Harris wrote:

> In article <4503426F.10408@black-star.demon.co.uk> you write:
>
>>Looks like something is bad with the last set of changes to the
>>vidcvideo driver in current. I get a display that my monitor syncs to
>>okay but is completely unreadable from the moment the kernel starts.
>

> Hmm.  I saw something similar on my Risc PC, but whether it happened
> seemed to be independent of which of my changes were present.

Current from a couple of months ago (when I was messing around with
timecounters) was no problem. Am compiling a netbsd 4 kernel right now.

> Can you test an equivalent kernel from the netbsd-4 branch and see if it
> works any better?  I'd also like to know what screen mode you're booting
> from.

1024x768 16bit. The kernel is trying to setup 1024x768 8bit for some
reason. Changing the RISC OS mode to match this doesn't appear to make
any difference. As the kernel boots it appears as if the VIDC DMA engine
is not being pointed at the right area of memory. A ghost of the last
bit of RISC OS screen data appears when the bootloader finishes running
and the kernel starts to boot. Eventually you can make out the kernel
output appearing over the top of this but its completely scrambled.

I'll report back on the netbsd-4 kernel in a while.

Mike