Subject: Re: Does NetBSD actually work for the RiscPC ?
To: Mark Smith <marksmith@orcon.net.nz>
From: Lewis <lgw21@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 05/21/2006 10:04:23
Hi Mark,

As a man-of-very-little-experience, I have successfully installed NetBSD
on my strongarm RiscPC. bb_riscbsd is the bootblock thingamajigger. It
pops the NetBSD stuff at the beginning of the NetBSD section of your
drive. The first trick I missed was running the short obey file that
assigns the filetypes to everything else in the acorn part of the distro.

Do that, and then run bb_riscbsd, and then answer all the difficult
questions about your HDD geometry and where you want bsd to start on the
drive...

ALSO! Beware that the hinty device gets it wrong if your HDD is too large
unless a) things have changed since I did it, or b) I actually mean
there's a problem with !Format (or !Form or !Whatever). What I actually
mean is that IIRC at some point along the way I was handed a negative
number instead of a large number that would really have helped me know
where to put the boot block and then Patrick (maybe he posts here every
now and again) helped me work it out on paper.

It was a while ago, and my memory is not serving me too well.

On the upside X was largely preconfigured, and so a doddle.

-L