Subject: Re: Boot netbsd 2.0 on RiscPC
To: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Teichmann <lists@peter-teichmann.de>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 05/12/2005 21:10:13
Am Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2005 11:10 schrieb Reinoud Zandijk:
[snip]
> Interesting... !BtNetBSD is quite similar to boot32. My recomended startup
> would be in the desktop bypassing !boot i.e. booting with Shift, setting
> the wimpslot big enough (and if nessisary set screen memory to the max) and
> run the kernel. NO taskwindow etc.. that surely will crash the machine; use
> <F12> i.e. the kernel prompt to run the kernel if you dont want to
> double-click; i.e. boot32 $.kernel

Well, now I have 2 32M modules in the machine. Setting the wimpslot nearly to
the maximum possible value (25472K is ok, 24960 not, independent from
bypassing !boot or not) seems to help, now boot32 works. The kernel itself is
2561318 bytes. So why does it need 25M for booting?

Another question: I thought boot32 is looking for free pages and using them
for the NetBSD kernel. So, why does the wimpslot make a difference? And,
couldn't boot32 extend the wimpslot by itself to the needed value? That
should not be too difficult.

Peter Teichmann