Subject: Re: Boot netbsd 2.0 on RiscPC
To: Peter Teichmann <lists@peter-teichmann.de>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 05/12/2005 11:10:44
--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

Dear folks,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 09:55:39PM +0100, Peter Teichmann wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. M?rz 2005 01:20 schrieb David Brownlee:
> > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Peter Teichmann wrote:
> > > Well, actually I even managed to install it. But my problem is, that it
> > > is very hard to boot a kernel. Maybe one out of 30 tries actually works.
> > > I tried lot of different things:
> >
> > [...]
> >   Have you tried removing one or other of the SIMMs? NetBSD tends
> >   to place much higher demands on the memory and marginal setups
> >   that work in RiscOS can fail under NetBSD.
>
> I don't think this is the problem, for it is the bootloader and not NetBSD
> itself that has problems. If NetBSD is started using the old BtNetBSD, as
> suggested by Neil Walker, there are no problems.
>
> Anyway, i tried it with several combinations of the following 6 SIMMs:
>
> SIMM A,B: 32MB, with 2 banks 16MB each (the original ones)
> SIMM C,D: 32MB, with 2 banks 16MB each (different type)
> SIMM E,F: 64MB, with 1 bank of 64MB
>
> Needless to say, all SIMMS were stable in the machines they were in
> originally. BtNetBSD was able to boot with any combinations of them.
>
> Boot32 was only able to boot with SIMM C or D in any of the slots, but not
> with both of them. It failed with any other combinations I tried.

Interesting... !BtNetBSD is quite similar to boot32. My recomended startup
would be in the desktop bypassing !boot i.e. booting with Shift, setting
the wimpslot big enough (and if nessisary set screen memory to the max) and
run the kernel. NO taskwindow etc.. that surely will crash the machine; use
<F12> i.e. the kernel prompt to run the kernel if you dont want to
double-click; i.e. boot32 $.kernel

Also to prevent problems DONT try to run the kernel from the archive; just
extract it say in the rootdir of RiscOS. boot32 ought to boot gzipped
kernels too but not sparcived kernels etc.

Cheers,
Reinoud

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs--