Subject: Re: Problems installing NetBSD-acorn32 v2.0
To: None <netbsd@wynded.co.uk>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 02/06/2005 21:37:24
On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 netbsd@wynded.co.uk wrote:

> I've tried increasing the wimpslot for !BtNetBSD to 8000k, but get the
> same behaviour. [It's a 64MB machine so there's no problem with
> allocating that much space]

It shouldn't make a difference, but it may be worth trying to increase the
wimpslot as far as it will go.

> Has anybody else experienced anything similar, or have any suggestions
> on what to try?

That's what I'd expect to see when trying to boot a corrupt kernel image,
or perhaps one that didn't quite fit into memory allocated for it.

Have you tried other (non-INSTALL) images?

Also, this may seem like a silly question, but what's your memory
configuration? Is it a single 64MB SIMM, or two 32MB SIMMS? If the former,
is the SIMM in slot 0?

Hmm. 64MB. That means no VRAM. Have you tried a different screen mode?

> As a side issue, I've noticed a couple of things after rummaging inside
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0/acorn32/
> - the netbsd-INSTALL.gz file in installation/kernel decompresses to a
>   different size to the InstKern file in BtNetBSD.spk
>   [I get the same behaviour with both decompressed kernels]

How different are the sizes? Does a comparison of the files reveal
anything interesting? (ie how far into the files do they differ, etc)

> - the installation/misc/MD5 file does not include a checksum for the
>   BtNetBSD.spk file in the same directory.

That's an oversight. Could you please file a PR for the missing checksum.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget