Subject: Re: bb_netbsd figure
To: None <port-acorn32@NetBSD.org>
From: Sebastian Maus <maus@acorn.de>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 07/06/2004 11:42:34
* Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org> wrote (20040705 22:22):
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Lewis wrote:
[...]
> > Having partitioned my 40Gb ADFS drive into two partitions (well, having
> > created a 20Gb filecore partition on it anyway), I ran bb_netbsd, which
> > presented me with a negative figure for the size of the filecore
> > partition: -2837 cylinders (0--2838)
> Does it actually error out at this point, or does continuing actually
> work?

Continuing worked for me. That was on a 4 GB disc, state of the art at
that time, and also with data on the RISC OS slice that was not lost
afterwards.
I thought the negative numbers were due to the new harddisc structure
that came with RISC OS version 4 but it may well be due to the
"excessive" size of the harddisc. IMHO, bb_riscbsd should be rewritten
to reflect modern harddisc sizes and changes in FileCore or ADFS_DiscOp
calls which have been made meanwhile (years ago). I would not run it on
a modern system without a recent backup at hand.

HTH,
 -S-