Subject: Re: castle etherY
To: None <lgw21@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 09/22/2003 12:48:17
In article <Pine.SOL.4.44.0309191523460.1069-100000@red.csi.cam.ac.uk> you write:
>I've been having a look around, and I got this on bootup:
>
>podulebus0 (root)
>netslot0 at podulebus0 : Castle Technology : prod=0146 : Castle Technology
>10/100 baseT Network Card
>podule at podulebus0 [ netslot 0 ] not configured

My memory says the Castle card is based on something that dev/ic/smc91cxx.c
should support, so writing a driver for it _shouldn't_ be that painful.  I'm
not volunteering, though, even if someone donates a card.  I've just got too
much else going on at the moment.

>So I was looking at etc/defaults/rc.conf
>which told me first that I must not edit the file directly.
>And then it told me to "uncomment the following" to get local paths.
>(line was:
>#export
>PATH=$PATH:/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
>)
>
>First: that's a contradiction. Should I copy the line into etc/rc.conf?

Yes.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf is a copy of what used to be /etc/rc.conf -- it
looks like it wasn't cleaned enough when in was moved.

>Second: what are local paths and why might I want them?

It might be useful for getting rc scripts to run commands from places other
than the standard path (e.g. if you had a local version of inetd in
/usr/local/sbin), but you're unlikely to need it.

>Why can't I make the games work?
>Obviously I'm doing something really stupid and obviously wrong, but
>typing their names brings up command not found errors. So then I thought
>maybe I should export PATH=$PATH:/usr/games which I wasn't allowed to do.

Would telling us the error message be too much effort?  My guess is that
you're using csh, which has a different syntax for setting environment
variables.  I'd recommend installing bash from pkgsrc and using that, but
only because that's what I do.

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>