Subject: castle etherY
To: None <port-acorn32@NetBSD.org>
From: Lewis <lgw21@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 09/19/2003 15:30:57
Hi,

X started "just like that"! :) :) :) So today, I've got three whinges ...

--1

I've been having a look around, and I got this on bootup:

podulebus0 (root)
netslot0 at podulebus0 : Castle Technology : prod=0146 : Castle Technology
10/100 baseT Network Card
podule at podulebus0 [ netslot 0 ] not configured

Does it help any? I'm afraid I couldn't check the chipset because the card
is mounted upside down and I was just having a quick poke around this
morning before I got to work. I'll try and have a look this weekend (tho'
I'm packing up, so no guarantee...)

--2

So I was looking at etc/defaults/rc.conf
which told me first that I must not edit the file directly.
And then it told me to "uncomment the following" to get local paths.
(line was:
#export
PATH=$PATH:/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
)

First: that's a contradiction. Should I copy the line into etc/rc.conf?
Second: what are local paths and why might I want them?

--3

Why can't I make the games work?
Obviously I'm doing something really stupid and obviously wrong, but
typing their names brings up command not found errors. So then I thought
maybe I should export PATH=$PATH:/usr/games which I wasn't allowed to do.
(Have I misunderstood the use of export?)

--

Anyhow, that's enough n00b ramblings for now.
If anyone can help, I'm -as always- indebted to you.

Regards,
Lewis

--
Lewis Westbury - lgw21@cam.ac.uk