Subject: Re: Xarm32VIDC from 1.6.1 very unstable
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 08/17/2003 21:50:49
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:48:26 +0100
Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> If you are really serious about running NetBSD on a RPC, you really
> need to have a StrongARM step S or T chip.

Whilst true in strict terms it is possible to run NetBSD relatively
trouble free if you have an older StrongARM chip. My proxy/firewall
machine here has been running almost trouble free for 85 days without
reboot. The only process that has fallen apart in that time is squid
which has stopped responding once. This may be related to the SA bug but
in my experience on x86 Linux and NetBSD machines squid has a tendency
to break from time to time anyway.

Normal service for this machine is squid, inn and ipfilter.

This is running NetBSD current 1.6T built from current on 20/05/2003
with the new arm32 pmap. Before I switched to the new pmap I was having
to reboot this machine from hard lockups once every 10days or so.

I don't actually use the console and local X server on this machine so
is it possible that there is something nasty in the X Server code which
makes it especially prone to problems.

Mike