Subject: Xarm32VIDC from 1.6.1 very unstable
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: None <sf@schalig.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 08/05/2003 12:22:54
First, is still somebody actively maintaining the acorn32 port of NetBSD?

I installed the 1.6.1 release on a RiscPC/SA110/32 MB RAM and was very
impressed as it run out-of-the box, all hardware was detected and my
subjective impression of the performance is very good. Good work!

However the X-server seems very unstable. As long as I use only the VIDC
console or only console via Xterm NetBSD runs stable like a rock. But
graphical interaction (resizing windows, opening windows, using a
webbrowser or a window manager) leads to a core dump of Xarm32VIDC sooner
or later.

I also tried recompiled kernels (1.6.1 and CVS head with and without SA
optimizations) but always the same. Next I will try recompiling the
X-server.

The acorn32 FAQ talks about crashes due to faulty hardware or bad memory.
As my installation is stable as long as I do not use X, I'm wondering
whether the hangs are due to buggy hardware. I have some questions:

- Is 1.6.1 and especially Xarm32VIDC ought to be stable?
- Can netbsd cope with StrongARMs that suffer from the STM ^ bug?
- Is there an issue withloading coredumps into gdb? Whenever I tried this,
  gdb says it does not understand the dump's fileformat.
- I read about an in-kernel debugger ddb - how can it be activated?

Thanks in advance,
David Schalig