Subject: Re: Installation Problems!
To: Wes (Moo-Juice) <wak.one@talk21.com>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 06/04/2003 17:22:10
Hiya Wes,

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:26:02AM +0100, Wes (Moo-Juice) wrote:
> I've been having trouble trying to install netBSD on my A7000+.

Aha! well this helps you a lot :) please dont use !BtNetBSD but the newer
bootloader as currently found of ftp.netbsd.org's
/pub/NetBSD/arch/acorn32/. The newest bootloader there is far better
capable of booting A7000+'s ... if you followed this mailing list you could
read that there were problems with the VRAM less machines. But now the rest
:

> I reformatted the HDD so that RO4 takes up cylinders 0 to 6000 and then
> ran bb_netbsd to select cylinder 6001 for netbsd. (It's here that it
> says -2600 something cylinders for RISC OS :S ) ...

Oh boy... that reminds me :( yeah that also needs to be reworked on.. the
negative number is harmless but not very encouraging i know!

> I have then edited the fastboot file in !BtNetBSD, commented out
> mountufs ADFS 4 (cause I kept on getting disclabel errors) and set the
> wimpslot to 10000k for good measure. I then tried to run !BtNetBSD and
> it reports the error "Filing system or Path UnixFS: not present at line
> 1830". I've tried replacing the UnixFS: bit in the fastboot file with
> CDFS::0.$.ACORN32.INSTALLATION.KERNEL.NETBSD_INSTALL/GZ and it still
> doesnt like it. (Ive got a cd with a 1.6.1 iso image burnt onto it)

Better is to remove the offending line 1830 for it propably just wants to
RMKill the UnixFS module...  but better use the new `boot32' bootloader.
This bootloader is now in a stage where it can replace the (allready
getting old) !BtNetBSD (wich is the sucessor of !BtRiscBSD).

> Any help please as I would like to get either netBSD or ARM linux
> running, but so far have failed to get past the installation hurdles of
> both!

So rounding up :
	- get the new boot32 bootloader from ftp.netbsd.org (see above)
	- for ease, copy the "CDFS::0.....NETBSD_INSTALL/GZ" kernel as
	  "ADFS::4.$.netbsd" (or whatever place you want)
	- run the boot32 module with enough WIMP-slot. This boot32 module
	  will as default look for the file `netbsd' in the CWD if you dont
	  specify a name after its provided `boot32' command.

that ought to fire up the machine!

Cheers,

Reinoud
(NetBSD/acorn32 portmaster)