Subject: Re: A7000+ Installation
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Damo-K <damo-k@orcon.net.nz>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 06/02/2003 16:40:33
Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> for those who where having trouble with booting up A7000 machines, i've
> made a test version of the boot32 bootloader for you all to test; its a
> slightly enhanced version that tries to be a bit smarter :)
> --
> and ought to have fixed the problem. It was a problem with the positioning
> of the DRAM video memory. The machine i got data from in PR 18883 showed
> that it used a small 2*1Mb SIMM in the last slot and i wasn't taking that
> into consideration. So even if it fails to boot (knock knock ... hope it
> will boot!) it still is a cleaner start :)

Thanks for the update.  Although I receive different error messages, it
still won't boot.  My A7000+ has an additional 4MB Ram (I'm still
getting around to grabbing a larger stick).

Here's the output from booting:
--
Booting InstKern (howto = 0x0)
Got 378 memory pages each 4 kilobytes to mess with.

Getting memory configuration

Used 472 kb DRAM at 0x1c38a000 for video memory
Top 1Mb section is not aligned on a MB; remove very small DIMMS?

Press SPACE or click mouse to continue
--

Should I remove the stick of ram and try again?  I know I should try but
I don't want to open up the machine unless it's completely necessary.

--
"To Establish the hæmogolbin count in someone's blood, it is not
necessary to examine all their blood - In fact, it is vital /not/ to use