Subject: New bootloader available and FAQ updated
To: None <port-acorn32@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-acorn32
Date: 01/06/2003 17:32:08
Hiya All,

you might have thought that the Acorn32 port was sleeping a lot ... well to
be honest it was for some time :-/ until i got some more time and
inspiration to work on things....

I've created yet another new bootloader from scratch called `boot32' wich
can boot NetBSD-1.6 ELF kernel images. Please report problems to this list
or to me when things fail.... It consists of just one file called
`boot32,ffa' (i.e. a RISC OS module) that can be RMRun or can be called
using *boot32. Its syntax (not in the module yet :-/ sorry) is :

  *boot32 [-a] [kernelname [parameters]]

It can load both normal kernels as gzipped kernels wich is a relief for
some i know :-) esp. the installation of new NetBSD/acorn32 systems will
most likely be much simplified by this move.

Also the FAQ has been made up to date and i've added a section about NC
booting since this is trivial but has a steep learning curve i've you've
never done it before.

On the TODO list is now : being able to load mode definition files (MDFs)
into a running kernel and to allow swiching screenmodes !

Cheers,
Reinoud Zandijk,
portmaster NetBSD/acorn32