Re: Cleaning up pkgsrc-wip

othyro%safetymail.info@localhost writes:

> Running pkglint recursively in wip/ gives the following results:

pkglint is _only_ a tool, a buggy one. Always bear that in mind.

You should always bear in mind that all these are considered
work-in-progress packages in various states, and, what is more important,
MAKING CHANGES JUST TO SILENCE ERROR OR WARNING IS FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG.

> 6403 errors
> 3358 - patches needing commenting
> 1604 - LICENSE needs defining

These are not errors, in fact.

> 124 - "$NetBSD$" header expected (38 are not patches)
> 92 - distinfo needing RMD160 checksums
> 655 - Makefiles requiring the CONF_FILES framework for files in PKG_SYSCONFDIR
> 41 - Empty PLIST/DESCR
> 42 - unrecorded patches in distinfo
> 207 - files in share/doc need to be installed under doc
> 24 - patches with checksums that differ from those in distinfo
> 225 - misc errors
>
> 4951 warnings
> 584 - packages with PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT = none (some might just need
> INSTALLATION_DIRS to work)

This is more important than any of above and below.

> 523 - Unknown option (send some sensible suggestions to pkg/47185 or open a
> new PR, since this one is closed)

Don't do that.

> 83 - files in share/man need to be installed under man
> 65 - Makefile.common files need a "used by" line for each package that uses
> them
> 9 - Unexpected LICENSE file
> 2 - need sysutils/desktop-file-utils/buildlink3.mk
> 3685 - other warnings (some are the fault of pkglint)
>
> Now, these numbers are not exact, since i have my own changes that haven't
> been committed, and my pkgsrc-wip tree is not updated, but close, and my
> pkgsrc tree is 2012Q3. A lot of the above are easy fixes, if someone has the
> time, or the maintainers of specific packages want to do it. Resolving a good
> bit of these issues will aid bulk build efforts, as fewer packages will fail
> under checksum/configure/build/install, and it will be easier to improve how
> these packages work across various OSes/architectures.

It is much better to work on sensible things than on resolving
any of these "problems" except absence of staged installation.
Even hierarchy violation isn't big deal as long as you make useful
and functional packages.

--
HE CE3OH...