Re: bmake question

> I'm getting an error about a variable being recursive.  Does this mean
> I can't massage a variable and assign the result to itself??
To some extent variables in bmake (and other makes too)
work like expressions in lazy programming languages (Haskell, Clean,
Lazy Lisp etc.). That is they "evaluated" only in special cases:
- in rules (${target} : ${dependeny}) during scaning Makefiles
- on the left side of =, != and +=
- on the right side of += and :=
- in conditions in .if operator
- ...